Rental Assistance

Michigan’s Eviction Diversion Program’ (EDP) has ended.

The state will begin administering the COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) program as soon as the funds are appropriated by the Michigan Legislature.

CERA can help renters with their past due rent and utilities. In most cases, payment will be made directly to the landlord or utility provider. More information on program details and how to apply will be added to this page as soon as the funding bill has been passed.


Call (866) 313-2520 or visit to access free legal counsel and to apply for rental assistance.

If you received a summons from the court, be sure to attend your hearing. Tell the court that you are applying for rental assistance and the court will adjourn your hearing until the assistance is available. If your landlord agrees to comply with the program, the court should dismiss your case.

Federal guidelines for the CERA program:

Who is eligible?

Renters who have qualified for unemployment benefits and/or who have experienced income loss, incurred significant costs, or other financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the pandemic; AND

Whose households earn less than 80% of the “Area Median Income” (AMI). The table below shows these income limits for Detroit:

1 person2 people4 people6 people8 people
Area Median Income guidelines in Detroit

You will need:

Renters will need the following documents/items (e.g., copies, pictures, screenshots, etc.)  along with their signed, fully completed CERA Application:

  • Identification (State ID or a passport)
    • If the ID doesn’t have your current address, you will need a utility bill or other piece of official mail showing your name and current address.
  • Income documents:
    • A copy of your 2020 IRS 1040 (first two pages only); or
    • Pay stubs, benefit statements (unemployment, social security, etc.), for most recent two months for all income sources.
      • If self-employed, a signed letter outlining type of work performed and income earned in the last two months.
  • One of the following to document the ‘COVID-19 hardship:
    • Unemployment Monetary Determination letter, or
    • Pay stubs or a letter from your employer showing a decrease in income, or
    • Copies of medical bills, childcare expenses, or other significant cost the household incurred during COVID-19, or
    • Other documentation demonstrating financial hardship during COVID-19.
  • Copies of a past due rent notice or past due utility bills.
  • Copy of your lease (if a written lease was completed).
  • If applying for utility assistance:
    • Clear copies of you most recent utility bills showing the amount owed, the utility provider and account number.